This Page

has been moved to new address

From the Back of My Shelf (1) : The School for Dangerous Girls by Eliot Schrefer

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Friday, July 8, 2011

From the Back of My Shelf (1) : The School for Dangerous Girls by Eliot Schrefer




The School for Dangerous Girls
Eliot Schrefer
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: January 1, 2009
Pages: 341
Source: Bought

Rating: 4 stars

Angela's parents think she's on the road to ruin because she's dating a "bad boy." After her behavior gets too much for them, they ship her off to Hidden Oak. Isolated and isolating, Hidden Oak promises to rehabilitate "dangerous girls." But as Angela gets drawn in further and further, she discovers that recovery is only on the agenda for the "better" girls. The other girls — designated as "the purple thread" — will instead be manipulated to become more and more dangerous . . . and more and more reliant on Hidden Oak's care.


This was a book that I had received for my birthday 2 years ago, yet I hadn't gotten around to reading until now. I had been super excited for it, but something else always seemed to pop up and I read that instead. I was so happy to finally read it, finding a beautifully woven story that kept me on the edge of my seat.

The plot was very well twisted. I never had any idea what exactly was going to happen next, not even a small guess. I loved the essence of mystery the story had to it.

The characters were all very well written. They all developed so much more as the book went on. I really liked Harrison. I thought he was a riot. The other cast of girls were all great as well, they all were so different from each other. I loved that none of the characters seemed to blend together, they were all very distinct.

This is definitely a book I would recommend. It was a great story that kept me flipping pages, dying to know what would happen next. I cannot wait to read more by Eliot Schrefer after this one :)

Cover Rating: B+ I love the cover - I love the boarding school look on covers, and I love that the cover is slightly out of focus, much like everything that went on at Hidden Oaks.

Link up your reviews below! Remember, books for From the Back of My Shelf must be released in 2009 or prior. Full details in my intro post here.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger The Bibliophile said...

I need to participate in this considering I have more unread books than I know what to do with.

July 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Jenn of Frequent Reader, Infrequent Blogger said...

I know the feeling.

Nice review, I'd never heard of this book before, but it sounds really good :)

July 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Great idea...I'm going to try and participate next time.

I read an ARC of this a while ago and I remember being horrified at some of the treatment these "bad" girls received.

July 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Danielle (Overflowing Shelf) said...

I've heard of this and seen around stores but never picked it up. Might get it from the library.

Also, I love the idea of "From the Back of My Shelf" I think it's a great way to read those books that just sit on the shelf.

July 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger jayjay said...

The cover is very much basic and nothing really good...
Just read the synopsis and I don't really like it, it seems like
a spin off of a drama or something... err sorry but thats my opinion.

as for the review it's my second time reading the line "very well written" is there any other good way to describe the characters?

over all i'd put this on my tbr pile since I think you really liked it.

July 10, 2011 at 2:32 AM  
Blogger A Passion For Books said...

this is such a great meme. i have a ton of books i've been wanting to read but haven't had time to get to them yet.

July 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Emily said...

This sounds like a great book because of the two goals of the boarding school. It has a nice twist to it. I will try to get a copy at my library. Why are "bad boys" irresistable? LOL

July 11, 2011 at 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like you i have a lot of books that I havente read and the came out betwen 1 and 3 year ago.An then I read them and post the review on my blog and I see that Evry one is posting reviews of fresh new books and mine are old ha. I'm intrigue with this boook, I'm going to look for it on Ebook for my nook. thanks for te review.

July 13, 2011 at 4:41 AM  
Blogger test said...

this book reminds of me gallagher girls for some reason, tho i haven't read that one. nice review will have to check this one out.

July 31, 2011 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Lovely said...

i wonder how dangerous girls are on this book? hmm cover is a so so.

July 31, 2011 at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say :) :)

Unless of course you are a spammer, then kindly go else where.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home