This Page

has been moved to new address

Endings: What are your thoughts?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Endings: What are your thoughts?

When I finished If On a Winter's Night a Traveler for my class several weeks ago, I sat there thinking about endings. If On a Winter's Night a Traveler is essentially a book of no endings, not within the chapters or even with the books ultimate close. Then I also finished several other books lately where I wasn't left quite satisfied with the endings. There were also a lot of books lately that I've just loved the endings. Therefore, this all led me to writing this post.

I am a person who very much likes a conclusive ending. I want all the strings tied up and don't want anything left unsolved, unless of course there will be more books following. Even with series, I cannot stand when the major plot arc of that book is not tied up. Cliffhangers are fine with me, as long as something is resolved. Sure, I get "upset" when finishing, but really that is just my excitement for the next book! I think Leah Clifford and Rachel Caine are just the masterminds of cliffhangers. Their books basically all end in cliffhangers, and they do it right! I can be assured when I finish one of their books that I am just pumped for the next book, due to the ending of awesome.

I love books like Brightly Woven, where the ending is completely tied up. Yet, it still would be possible for there to be another book (This is me hoping a TON in the case of Brightly Woven!). There's no aspect of OH This was clearly meant to be a series so we're not going to answer your questions now. But there are those lovely glimmers of hope that make me sit there and question wait, did this mean something? or how about that? I love book endings that make me think.

I am also not a fan of books where the last few chapters feel like a completely different book since they have to have something happen to justify there being a sequel. If you want to have a sequel great, but integrate that story starting earlier. Rushing in the last few chapters drives me crazy. It is these endings that make me scream There are NOT enough stand alones out there.

So enough of me rambling, I am curious -What are your favorite kind of endings? Do you have the same ending pet peeves as me? What books have the best endings for you? Weigh in in the comments!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love conclusive endings. Cliffhanger endings don't work well for me because I love conclusion. If the book is part of a series, I might not be able to obtain the sequel. So, I prefer if the book has a conclusive ending because I don't like to be left wondering what happens to the main characters in the next book.
I was recently reading a YA novel about a clone. This clone has lupus. The ending of the book hints that the clone would eventually date the female protoganist in the book. I wished it stated clearer what would happen to the clone because of his lupus. How bad is his lupus? Would he die young? etc. etc. This book isn't part of any series as far as I know, and I just have to concoct how I want the ending to be eventually.

December 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM  
Blogger Cassandra @ Book & Movie Dimension a Blog said...

I definitely understand. Unresolved things in a book just confuse me.
Also can someone not write a book that is awesome but a standalone. There are too many serieses.

December 10, 2011 at 6:39 AM  
Blogger Memoirs of Me & Mine said...

Unresolved endings drive me crazy!
www.rebeccabany.com

December 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As much as I "hate" them, I'm actually kind of a fan of cliffhangers (but only in series!). Take the ending of Mara Dyer for example, I would probably not have cared much for the sequel if not for those last three pages.

In standalones, I don't mind that there are some unanswered questions about what will happen next, as long as the main plot has come to an end. Before I Fall, for instance, had the perfect ending to that story:)

December 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Jasmine Rose said...

I like a good cliffhanger in a series, but I much prefer a nicely tied up ending if the book is going to stand on its own. If things are left unresolved then it just makes me feel a little itchy after I put the book down. I don't even want to move on after those unwrapped endings because I feel like I'm leaving something undone. Not a lovely feeling.

December 11, 2011 at 3:23 AM  
Blogger Small Review said...

I agree on every point! I like series like Paranormalcy, where even though it is a series, each book still wraps up nicely. Brightly Woven is a perfect example of how an author can end a story nicely but leave the door open for sequels, and I'll want to read those sequels on the strength of the characters and writing--not because the story is just unfinished. (I'm hoping a ton too!)

December 11, 2011 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger LoriStrongin said...

Ugh, I remember being so frustrated with If on a Winter's Night because those first chapters were a lot more interesting than the protag's actual story and I just wanted to have one single conclusive story!

Ditto that I like things to be wrapped up by the end of a book. I don't mind if there's still tension which will be dealt with in the next book, but at least I want a satisfying conclusion to the plots in the current book in case the author never does come out with that promised sequel.


Smiles!
Lori

December 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM  
Anonymous fort pheonix state reservation and beach said...

Hi great reading your posst

August 13, 2023 at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say :) :)

Unless of course you are a spammer, then kindly go else where.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home