This Page

has been moved to new address

Tour: Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tour: Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne

Still Waters
Emma Carlson Berne
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: December 20, 2011
Pages: 215

Rating: 3 stars

Hannah can't wait to sneak off for a romantic weekend with her boyfriend, Colin. He’s leaving for college soon, and Hannah wants their trip to the lake house to be one they’ll never forget. 
But once Hannah and Colin get there, things start to seem a bit...off. They can't find the town on any map. The house they are staying in looks as if someone's been living there, even though it's been deserted for years. And Colin doesn’t seem quite himself. As he grows more unstable, Hannah worries about Colin’s dark side, and her own safety. 
Nothing is as perfect as it seems, and what lies beneath may haunt her forever.

Still Waters was a read I was pretty neutral on. I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it either. The plot was cool; it just didn't develop to the level I was hoping for. The ending was great, and was definitely my favorite part of the book.

One of the big things that had me on edge at first was the fact that the main character first stole this file from her boyfriend’s house - it was just really odd. Then she lies to her mom to go on this trip. It was just very different from how I was expecting the story to begin. From there, I thought the plot was interesting. I liked the aspect of the fact that this cabin was in the middle of nowhere and it felt like everything was almost stuck in time. I had heard that this one was quite creepy, but I didn't get that aspect until happenings in the last few chapters. The last few chapters were intense!

The ending was great. It built up quite a lot, and then it ended. I am sitting here playing all the possible endings in my head and questioning everything that happened. Things happened earlier in the book, but it was much slower until the last chunk of the book. Once that hit, it was like bam bam bam and so much was happening. The creep factor succeeded here and it was great.

The characters overall were great. I really liked David - he was just adorable. Hannah was a great character overall, but I didn't get her overall fixation on those three words. I get if you don't want to say it because you don't feel that way, but it was almost like she had a one track mind. I really did like Colin, I thought he was a great character.

Still Waters was a book that was good, but definitely could have grown to be something bigger. It was a book that was a fast read and had some really great aspects to do. I am very curious to see what Emma Carlson Berne comes up with next.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

Hm, see, now your review intrigues me! I was seeing this cover around and love it - and reading your review makes me want to read it just to see the ending lol!! :-))

December 27, 2011 at 3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious about the creep factor. :D From what I gather, something supernatural happens and it seems to have to do with Colin.
I always have the "uh oh" moment when I read a book that has potential and yet doesn't reach its full potential. I might pick up this book and read because I'm curious about the creep factor. :)

December 27, 2011 at 5:15 AM  
Blogger Giselle said...

Great review! I enjoyed this one too but I didn't like the ending at all I felt it could have been much more. It was really odd that she stole the file though, no? Why not just ask!? haha.

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

December 27, 2011 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger We Heart YA said...

You know, when we read books like this (or Goosebumps or Stephen King or whoever) we tend not to talk about them in extremes ("OMG I LOOOVED IT" or "ugh worst book evar") because we don't get as emotionally involved as we might with other genres. We're not rooting for some orphan heroine to save the world, or some epic love story to triumph against all odds. We're just following this mystery down its rabbit hole, however far that may go.

So. Based on your review, it sounds like Still Waters does a good job with that suspense, and we're looking forward to checking it out! :)

December 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Jasmine Rose said...

I'm sad this wasn't a big hit, but I'll still definitely read it. Especially with the promise of an amazing ending :]

January 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say :) :)

Unless of course you are a spammer, then kindly go else where.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home