This Page

has been moved to new address

The Education of Bet Tour: Interview with Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Education of Bet Tour: Interview with Lauren Baratz-Logsted

I am so happy to have Lauren Baratz-Logsted by the blog today for an interview! Lauren is the author of seven Young Adult titles and many others. Her favorites animals are cats and penguins. The Education of Bet is out in paperback. (I loved The Education of Bet - you can see my review here)

So the characters of The Education of Bet get stuck on a deserted island. Who is the one to get them off the island? Who would fare the best? The worst?


Bet definitely is the one to get them off the island. Look how resourceful she is in her own story - she even learns how to fence! She's the daughter of the maid, orphaned at age four, and yet she still finds a way to get the things she wants most in the world. As for who would fare worst, I hope it would be the bully Hamish MacPherson. With his on the island, things would take a "Lord of the Flies" turn for the worse, but I like to think the good characters would find a way to eventually contain him.
What would you say was your favorite character to write in The Education of Bet?

I've gotten to the point where I really love writing male characters so while it's tough to pick favorites, I'd have to say James Tyler. He was the most fun because there's something very complex about James. But then of course there's Bet - the cross-dressing! The fencing! It really is hard to choose between the two.

If you could travel back to one point in history for a day, where would you go?

Victorian England. Clearly I have a passion for that time and place, having featured it in three novels - the adult novel Vertigo and the YA novels The Education of Bet and The Twin's Daughter - but if I go, I'd really like to take good indoor plumbing with me.

Which line do you find more difficult to write? The first or the last?

There's no option to say the middle??? I almost always know the first line before I even start writing - and I frequently know the last shortly after that! - but if I have to choose, I'll say the first. Sometimes you start a book and later wonder if you started in exactly the right place. Of course last lines come with their own brand of difficulty - sure, it's exhilarating to realize you've gone the distance, but there's always a sadness at leaving behind characters you've lived with so intensely.

What books have you recently read and loved?

The last adult novel that I loved was Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin which imagines the life of the real-life Alice that Alice in Wonderland was based on. The last YA novel I loved was Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan which is about two very different teenage boys who are both named - you guessed it! - Will Grayson.

---------

Thanks so much for stopping by the blog Lauren! You can find Lauren on the web at her website and twitter.

Don't forget to check out the other stops on the tour:

Monday, May 23: Val at Truth Be Told (Review)
Tuesday, May 24: Nicole at Word for Teens (Interview)

Wednesday, May 25: Corrine at Lost for Words (Author Books Picks)

Thursday, May 26: Andye at Reading Teen (Character Interview- Bet)

Saturday, May 28: Serena at Pensive Bookeaters (Tens List)

Sunday, May 29: Kelsey at The Book Scout (Guest Post- Women Disguised as Males in Movies and Literature & Giveaway)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say :) :)

Unless of course you are a spammer, then kindly go else where.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home