This Page

has been moved to new address

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#000; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-Serif; text-align:center; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#9ad; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#a7a; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#ad9; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #333; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #222; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; color:#ccc; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#ccc; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#ad9; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #222; border-width:0 1px 1px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:bold 78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#777; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; line-height:1.4em; color:#ad9; } .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#ad9; } .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#333; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#777; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#999; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #444; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #222; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky
Veronica Rossi
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Pages:  400

Rating: 4 stars
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.
I had heard all sorts of hype for Under the Never Sky, but for me, it did not live up to the praises I had heard.  I still found it to be a very good read, and I am curious to see how the story will grow in the sequel.

Under the Never Sky was a very slow read. It picked up a little around page 200, but was still very slow and steady. Not that this was bad, I just was hoping for a little more to happen. That being said, the last 50 pages or so had a lot going on, and it set up a really cool premise for what is to come in book 2. I am very curious to see how the story will develop from here.

I was a bit confused about the world. For a large portion of the book I sat trying to piece together all the elements and come up with a coherent road map, but didn't have much luck. By the end I had been able to piece together a general idea, but I still was very unsure. It was a really cool world, but I didn't completely understand the Aether and the different Markings people could get. I am very curious to see more of this in book 2.

I really loved the mix in genres this one felt to have. There was definitely a huge element of dystopian, but also a lot of sci-fi and almost an element of fantasy. It was a lot of fun to read in that sense, as it wasn't solely one "thing".

I really enjoyed the characters in Under the Never Sky - they were definitely my favorite aspect. I loved Aria and Perry both. Roar was another favorite character of mine. I loved that the story alternated from Aria to Perry's story. It made it a lot more fun. I hope to hear from some of the characters only mentioned in passing or in conversations. Aria and Perry's relationship was one I really liked. It was slow to build and was absolutely adorable.

Under the Never Sky was a promising debut, and I am curious to see how Veronica Rossi grows as a writer in further books. Veronica Rossi has really set the stage in this novel for what will be an awesome book to follow.

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

Oh too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped. I really really loved it tons. I found the growing live between perry and aria wonderful. But I loved most the world and the mix of sci fi, dystopian and fantasy. One of the best reads for my lately!

January 3, 2012 at 1:58 AM  
Blogger Kapri (Book Fanatics) said...

I just finished with this one and I, too, have mixed feelings. I also was confused about the world, but I really liked the characters. And I do find the mix of genres very fascinating.

January 3, 2012 at 2:22 AM  
Blogger Elodie said...

That's too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped .. I was very interested in this one but I've a read several negative reviews so I'm a bit reluctant now .. I guess I'll wait some more before ordering it !! Thanks for the great review :)

January 3, 2012 at 5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Books with a mix of dystopian and sci-fi always, always confuse me! I think they have too many elements cram together. I've been wanting to read this book because of the romance (I love dystopian romances), but I'm not so sure now.

January 3, 2012 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

These kinda books are always really cool. This one though sounds even awesomer then some other books

January 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger We Heart YA said...

Hm, good to know. Worldbuilding is very important to us.

January 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm reading this book right now and I'm super confused about the world. I was hoping that the more I read the more I would understand, but it sounds like it might take the entire series before I get a clear picture.

January 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I also LOVED the characters and relationships in this book, but agree that the history leading up to the current world situation was a bit confusing. The Aether and the event of The Unity were never really explained enough to feel that I had a good grasp on what got us to this point. The current world building was good, but the history behind it was muddled.

January 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Alexa said...

I've actually been enjoying stories as of late that are a little bit slower. This one might be perfect for me right now!

Thanks for the great review, I'm sorry you didn't all out love it but I'm glad you are still interested enough in it to try the sequel. :)

January 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree that it was very slow, and I had a hard time getting into it, but thought it caught up a lot through the second half:)

January 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I'm glad you liked it even if it was a bit confusing! I have hearda alot oof people say that for most of the first part they have no idea what's going on. I would like to give this ago but am scared of being left in the dark about what's actually going on..

January 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say :) :)

Unless of course you are a spammer, then kindly go else where.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home